1. Your use of this Site as a viewer or as a content contributor is entirely voluntary. By using the Site, you understand and acknowledge that the Site may include unmoderated forums containing the personal opinions and statements of individuals at MIT, and those unaffiliated with MIT, who generate entries on a wide range of topics and issues. Accessing such content through the site is your responsibility. MIT has the right, but not the responsibility, to monitor the Site, including, without limitation, comments and feedback. MIT reserves the right to refuse to post, or to remove, any information or materials, in whole or in part, in its sole discretion. MIT is not a publisher of user-generated content on the Site, or of any content that may be available through it, and, with regard to such content, is acting solely as an Internet service provider (47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(1)). Except to ensure that content meets certain basic guidelines, MIT as an entity does not screen, approve, review or endorse the content. If you feel you might be offended by the content of the Site, you should not continue. If you would like to report content that you believe to be objectionable, defamatory, or an invasion of your privacy, please contact <dslx at mit dot edu>
2. MIT respects your privacy. We do not collect personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily provide it. You do not need to provide any personally identifiable information to access the Site, but certain aspects of the Site may not be accessible without such information. Our primary aim in collecting personally identifiable information is to enable us to contact you about content you submit, to answer questions, and to provide information. By "personally identifiable information," we are referring to (1) data that uniquely identifies you or permits us to contact you, such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number; (2) other information that we collect through the Site and combine and maintain in combination with that personally identifiable information, such as your area of interest; educational and employment background; and (3) your participation and use of the Site. Among other things, MIT may use the personally identifiable information that you provide to respond to your questions; send you information about MIT events; send you information about Site maintenance or updates; and for all appropriate MIT administrative and research purposes. Except as set forth herein or as specifically agreed to by you, MIT will not disclose any personally identifiable information we gather from you on the Site to any third parties.
3. MIT respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe a user of the Site is infringing your copyright, please provide written notice to MIT by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You agree that if a third party claims that any content or Materials (defined below) you have contributed to the Site is unlawful, you will bear the burden of establishing that the material complies with all applicable laws.
4. In consideration for access to and use of the Site, you hereby grant to MIT the worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully paid-up right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, translate, modify and create derivative works of any photographs, videos, text, or other information (the "Materials") uploaded to the Site by you for any educational or non-commercial purposes in print or electronically, including the right to distribute the Materials via the Site.
5. To the extent it owns or controls any content on the Site, MIT hereby grants you a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free and fully paid-up right and license to use, reproduce, distribute, translate, modify and create derivative works of such content, solely for personal, educational and non-commercial purposes. You are not specifically not permitted to sell the content or to use it in any advertising or promotional materials or activities
6. You are responsible for your own communications, including any Materials that may be posted to the Site, and are responsible for the consequences of such posting. You further agree that you will not knowingly email or post malicious or harmful content anywhere on the Site, or on any other MIT computing resources, including, without limitation, the following:
- Content that defames or threatens others.
- Harassing statements or content that violates federal or state law.
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- Content that is not your own, or infringes another’s intellectual property, such as copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets.
- Material that contains obscene language or images.
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation, promotion or endorsement of a commercial product or activity.
- Intentionally incomplete, misleading or inaccurate content.
7. "MIT", "Massachusetts Institute of Technology", and its logos and seal are trademarks of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Except for purposes of attribution, you may not use MIT’s names or logos, or any variations thereof, without prior written consent of MIT.
8. THE SITE AND ITS CONTENT AND MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, MIT HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND (EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OWNERSHIP, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. MIT MAKES NO WARRANTY ABOUT THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, COMPLETENESS, TIMELINESS, SUFFICIENCY OR QUALITY OF THE SITE OR ANY OF ITS CONTENT OR MATERIALS. MIT DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL OPERATE WITHOUT ERROR OR INTERRUPTION, OR THAT THE SITE OR ITS SERVERS ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL MATERIALS. NEITHER MIT, ITS AFFILIATES, TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (EVEN IF MIT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE USE OF THE SITE OR ITS CONTENT OR ANY MATERIALS.
9. You agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify MIT, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any third-party claims, actions or demands arising out of, resulting from or in any way related to your use of the Site, its content and Materials, including any liability or expense arising from any and all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees, of every kind and nature. In the case of such a claim, MIT will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action so that you may take action to defend and indemnify MIT and its affiliated parties.
11. You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these Terms or any content posted to the Site will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving Boston, Massachusetts as the legal forum for any such dispute.